This Polish beetroot soup is simple, good and healthy and can be served hot or cold.
Beetroots (preferably with greens)
Celery or celeriac
Parsley root or parsnip
Spring onions or other type of onion or leek
Salt, Black Pepper
Vegetable stock (optional)
1. Cut beetroots in 4-6 pieces each and cook in water with some vinegar until soft.
Remember the vinegar (a few tbsp) or the beets and the soup will lose the colour.
2. Puree the cooked beets with some of the beet water in blender and put them back in the pot.
3. Add the second group of ingredients – all the other chopped vegetables and chopped beet greens (if you have them), together with bay leaves, salt, pepper, stock and some more vinegar.
Cook for about 15-20 min.
4. Taste the soup and if too sour, you can add some sugar to your liking.
5. Serve with fresh dill, parsley, boiled egg and sour cream.
You can serve it hot or cold. If cold, it has to be well cooled (from the fridge).
Note: Don’t puree this soup and turn it into one of those gooey baby food dishes, which are so popular in America. This soup is too good for that. 😉
Happy July. 🙂